Thursday, December 6, 2012

December: A Believing Heart



A Believing Heart


"Believe means, I might never see it happen, but Santa will come and eat them. I just know it." 
Christmas Cookies, Amy K. Rosenthal



I can still hear the sound of my dad's voice reading to me the story of Polar Express. How many Christmases my siblings and I cuddled close on the couch to hear his strong but soothing voice read aloud this childhood classic. 

Reading Polar Express has long been one of my family's traditions, part of what my mother calls "A Believing Heart." This Christmas custom has to do with keeping alive the magic of Santa Claus in the hearts of her children, even now when we have all grown up.

 The first thing we do is read the famous article, now in published book form, called "Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa Claus."  This editorial appeared in the New York Sun in 1897 and is one of the most famed newspaper articles ever written. It was the editor's reply to an 8 year old girl's written query to the Sun: Is there really a Santa Claus?  It is a beautiful, timeless response- a must read each Christmas!




"Not BELIEVE in Santa Claus?  Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see." 
Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus, Frank Church



Then as I mentioned, our dad would always read to us Polar Express, another beautiful reminder of the power of having a believing heart.  Thanks to the magic of motion picture, we now are able to also watch Polar Express the movie each year!

My mom has included as part of this holiday tradition a Hot Chocolate Party, in honor of the scene from the movie (and book) where the children are served hot chocolate aboard the Polar Express



I was lucky enough to be home for a visit a few weeks ago, so I got to participate in this tradition with my family!  It was one of the best highlights of my trip- watching twelve of my mom's grandchildren -ages 11 months to thirteen years- rock out with her to the song "Hot Chocolate" (from the Polar Express soundtrack) while whipping up mugs of steaming cocoa. It truly was a party!




My mom served lots of different kinds of hot chocolate: French Vanilla, Mint, Dark Chocolate, Caramel creme, etc. 




With lots of flavors of marshmallows too: vanilla, peppermint, even gingerbread flavor!





As a party favor, my mom gave each of her children and grandchildren a tiny tin of hot cocoa (from Crate and Barrel) and mini Hot Chocolate flavored 3 Musketeers. 


Have a hot chocolate party with your kids this year, and be sure to dance and sing along to the song "Hot Chocolate!" And may you and yours this Christmas choose to have a believing heart!





"Listen, do you hear the bell? Remember, the bell still rings for all who truly believe."
Polar Express, Chris Van Allsberg






No comments:

Post a Comment