Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Spring Breakfast



Spring is a happiness so beautiful, so unique, so unexpected, that I don't know what to do with my heart."  
Emily Dickinson



Each year on the first day of Spring, my mom would hold a Spring breakfast outside. Living in Utah and having kids that needed to get to school on-time, this usually meant a frozen, snowy event at the crack of dawn. Many of my siblings thus recall this tradition with less than fond memories,  but my mother jokes that if we hadn't been bundled up in winter coats in the dark of the early hours, we probably wouldn't remember this tradition as well as we do!  Unlike those siblings of mine who are not likely to carry on this tradition, I on the other hand LOVE IT! What better thing to do than welcome spring with a delicious breakfast outside- no matter the weather!?  

Growing up, as we rubbed the sleep from our eyes, we would walk outside to find our patio-table dressed with cheery place settings and a beautiful centerpiece of yellow daffodils, surrounded by soft-boiled eggs, juice and blueberry muffins or cinnamon rolls.   I decided to do a spin-off on our traditional breakfast fare. And since my family tries to eat clean and natural, the meal was free of artificial and processed ingredients.   



MENU

Fresh Halved Grapefruit
Wholewheat Blueberry Lemon Pancakes
Bacon and Eggs Cups





 These light and fluffy pancakes with the tang of fresh blueberries and lemon zest will have you amazed that they are made with whole grains, NO SUGAR, and 100% all-natural ingredients! Serve them up with warm 100% real maple syrup or honey. ( I got the recipe from Weelicious! )






 You can find a plethora of recipes for these egg and bacon cups online, with many fun variations. They're yummy if you haven't made them before. I fixed ours with nitrate-free, natural uncured bacon.



Nothing like a delicious breakfast on a beautiful sunny morning with the sound of chirping birds!



"The day the Lord created Hope was probably 
the same day He created Spring."   

Bern Williams




To welcome in spring, as kids our mom would also have us sing one of our favorite Springtime songs:

It's Spring Again! 

This morning when the sun came up 
a wondrous thing I heard, 
a whistling, warbling chirping noise, 
it sounded like a bird.
And then I saw it flying to its nest high in a tree,
It's spring, spring, spring again, 
the bird was telling me!

And later on while playing in the yard,
guess what I found?
A cheery yellow daffodil 
had popped up through the ground.
The crocuses and tulips were alive as they could be,
Its spring, spring, spring again,
the flowers were telling me!

by Janeen Brady




FUN FACT:

The last day of March is about an hour and a half longer than the first day- the greatest increase of daylight of any month. 







2 comments:

  1. annie you always brighten my world and i eagerly await each new posting - thank you for letting me be a part of your amazing life = i love u guys so much

    ReplyDelete