Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Stars and Stripes


I hope you had a fantastic 4th of July! We had a fun time getting into the patriotic spirit. Here is what we did!  (And don't forget to check out my post This Is My Country for lots of other ideas of how to celebrate the 4th with your kids.) 


Firework Art

We made fireworks with paint two different ways. The first was with a plastic fork!


The second way was using a toilet paper roll. 





Flag Toast

We had yummy flag toast for breakfast one morning. Spread a slice of toast with peanut and red jam and then top it with blueberries and bananas to make an American flag. 



Flag Collage 

I cut up red and blue squares from the junk ads we always get in our mail. We glued them to a white paper to make a flag!





Fourth of July Pancake Breakfast!

I made blueberry and flaxseed pancakes for my little boy in the shape of stars!



For my husband and me, I made paleo grain-free pancakes with homemade berry compote.  It was DELICIOUS!!


To make compote, just boil 3 cups of fresh berries with 1/2 cup water, dash of salt, and 1-2 tsps. natural sweetener. I used Truvia. Boil for about 5 minutes and then mash berries down. Boil for 2 more minutes and then remove from heat. 



To make the pancakes, mash 2 ripe bananas, 2 eggs, and 1/2 cup natural peanut butter. I added a handful of fresh blueberries and 1 heaping tablespoon of flaxseed meal.  Cook on a buttered griddle over medium heat. 


We had a really fun BBQ with friends for which I made another awesome paleo recipe:

 French Pound Cake with berries and whipped cream. It has NO sugar and NO flour. Everyone went craaaaazy (or cra-cra as they say these days) over it! It was a HUGE hit! I definitely recommend this recipe. Get it here HERE!




 And of course we had a ton of fun celebrating with sparklers, fireworks, and wonderful friends!

Photo cred: our awesome friend Corbin Smith



Happy 4th of July from our family!






No comments:

Post a Comment