Thursday, October 30, 2014

Dia de los Muertos



   I thought it would be fun to just show you guys a few of the fun things my family did this year for our annual celebration of Dia de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead. To learn more about what Day of the Dead is and why my family celebrates it, see my previous posts: 




Living away from home means that I don't get to take part in my family's annual Day of the Dead party. My sister-in-law Caitlin took some pictures though of the fun and festivities so we could try to feel like we were there :) 




Each year, everyone in my family dresses up for the occasion! Ah my cute family, I miss them so much!





My sister Jenn made homemade pumpkin donuts!

And my mom served a feast of delicious things including enchiladas, pan de maize, Mexican rice, and imported Mexican sodas.  


Although we were sad we couldn't be at the party, my little family and I celebrated in our way down here in Arizona. 

We read my favorite little book that talks all about this holiday in Mexico and has the cutest illustrations. We learned all about the traditional foods Mexico eats, and the flowers and other customs they use to celebrate this festive time of year.




We made some fun pumpkins and Calaveras de Azucar ("sugar skulls"):



And we stopped by our amazing Panaderia for some real Pan de Muerto (the traditional sweet bread called "Bread of the Dead") and of course some sugar cookies:



 I had to get a "piggy cookie" because it is so reminiscent of my childhood days in Mexico. We used to always get these cookies when we'd visit the panaderia where we lived:



Pan de Muerto:




Hope you all have a wonderful time celebrating this fun time of year in whatever fashion your family loves!

Happy Halloween and Feliz Dia de los Muertos!

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment