Thursday, October 25, 2012

Remember September Part 4: Celebrate Football Season







There is something about late September when the weather begins to turn and the thrill of football season is in the air. Maybe its memories of my cheerleading days that cast such a nostalgic aura over this time of the year but football season is a spectacular way to ring in the coming autumn and celebrate September. Ok, I admit that my husband’s obsession with college football is anything but charming. I mean, I’ve never really understood the “religion” of televised collegiate sports, especially when it means our fall weekends are consumed with more ESPN and much less of anything else. However, there is one September tradition of my mom’s that I can’t help but enjoy:  Attend at least one football game. I suppose its got something to do with the crisp nights under starlit skies, amplified by the glow of stadium lights, the smell of fresh hot dogs, buttery popcorn, and cinnamon roasted almonds,  the monochromatic sea of fans stomping, roaring, and cheering to the pandemonium of the marching band and the excitement of watching your favorite team score that winning touchdown!



     However, unless you can count my husband’s intramural flag football games, this year attending an actual game wasn’t in the cards. That’s why I decided to make the most of watching one at home with friends- and I knew just which game it would be. In our home, there is one game that stands out above all the others as the most anticipated game of the year. The one where my husband’s team plays mine. Ironically, the team that wins my husband’s die-hard allegiance happens to be both of our alma maters, the very university credited for introducing us to each other. But my loyalty to a different team is rooted in childhood memories of attending games with my dad, one of their truest fans. In fact, my entire family, immediate and extended, all, as they say, “bleed red.” As a result, the arrival of this particular game in the schedule is met with much conjecture and excitement.


    In order to celebrate the big game, I set to work preparing dueling desserts for each team. I would have held fast to my roots and only turned out crimson-worthy treats, but the fact that I would be the ONLY Ute fan present at our gathering, made a call to my better (or wiser) nature.


WHAT I SERVED:


Decadent RED velvet cupcakes
White chocolate dipped strawberries 
White Corn Chips with Red Salsa


(You catchin’ the theme?)

I used the printable from Iheartsaltlake.com for the "Go Utes" toppers. I made the other ones myself!







And...




Blueberry and cream cheese tarts
White chocolate dipped pretzels with blue sprinkles
Blue-tinted rice krispie treats with white chocolate drizzle 
Salted Popcorn












I had such a fun time creating this fan-fare for our friends to enjoy while watching the game from the comfort of home. All in all, I think the night was a success...especially the final score of the game ;)   Go Utes!

1 comment: