Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Remember September

September is a time when summer yields forth its bountiful harvest, the air begins to cool to a delightful crisp, the leaves start changing their colors, and children go back to school. When we were little, my mom would have us sing a playful song, "Remember September."   Today more than ever, I have begun to see how truly relevant its title really is.  It seems that the commercial world would have us skip right over September and get onto Halloween. In fact, some stores by the end of the month have even clearance marked their October flare to make way for Christmas.  Its unfortunate because of how much September has to offer.  That is why I am grateful my mother always made sure to  celebrate this first of the autumnal months.  

With my new goal to revel in the richness of each season, I made a list of my mother's main September traditions, adapting them if needs be to my own preference and circumstances.





The first one I will tell you about is the advice to 
Eat Lots of Apples


        Perhaps it is its association with Back to School that earns the apple its place as the honorary fruit of September, or just the fact that it is in season and therefore you can find apples in abundance at stores and farmers markets.  Either way, one of the best ways to celebrate September is to enjoy apples.  



FRESH APPLES



 Its fun to pick some up at local fruit stands, or, if you live where apples are grown, some orchards offer apple picking where you can go select your own right off the tree.  






CARAMEL APPLES


 I also love buying caramel apples from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory! They have so many varieties and are delicious!! This year I thought I would try making my own, however. The caramel recipe below works great to dip these apples in because the caramel stays relatively soft. As a result, you won't pull any teeth out trying to eat one! After heating the caramel sauce, I stuck large skewer sticks in freshly washed apples and then dipped them in the sauce. Then, I set them on a lightly greased plate (or parchment paper works) to dry.

           




HOT APPLE CIDER


Combine a 64 oz. container of apple juice, 2-3 cinnamon sticks, 1 tsp. cloves, and 1 tsp. nutmeg in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil and then simmer on low for an hour or more. It makes the house smell delicious too! Or, stores sell many delicious kinds that come ready made. All you have to do is heat it up!





APPLE SPICE CAKE (from MARTHA STEWART)


My sister found this recipe several years ago in a Martha Stewart magazine, and it has been a family favorite ever since. I served my cake this year after a delicious dinner of warm, homemade chili to make the perfect autumn meal!

Ingredients

  • 1 1/3 cups vegetable oil
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3 to 4 Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (3 cups)
  • 1 cup chopped assorted nuts, such as pecans and walnuts (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • Caramel Sauce (see below)
  • Nonstick cooking spray with flour

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray; set aside.
  2. Working over a large sheet of parchment paper, sift together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; gather sifted ingredients into center of sheet; set aside.
  3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine vegetable oil, sugar, and eggs; mix on high speed until lemon yellow.
  4. Fold reserved parchment in half lengthwise; with mixer on medium speed, gradually shake in dry ingredients until just incorporated.
  5. Add apples and, if desired, nuts, to batter; mix to combine. Add vanilla, mixing until incorporated.
  6. Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 75 to 90 minutes.
  7. Remove from oven, and cool slightly on a wire rack.
  8. Invert cake onto rack; turn cake right-side up to cool completely on rack, and serve drizzled with caramel sauce.
CARAMEL SAUCE 
  • 1 cup light-brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup evaporated milk
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • Pinch of salt

Directions

  1. Combine ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until thickened to desired consistency

                            









        My mother would also teach us about Johnny Appleseed in September, and read us story books about his life. Did you know he was a real person? We would also have fun coloring and crafting things that had to do with apples. My son is still a little too young for crafts, since he's only nine months old, so I got some fun things for a young girl I baby sit. 





Happy apple-ing!




4 comments:

  1. Holy apple spice cake. That looks amazing.

    I saw caramel apples at your guys' place the other day and I was so jealous because even though they might not pull teeth out, they'll definitely pop a wire or a bracket off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Annie! You are such an amazing writer. I think you are right... September is definitely overlooked. This inspired me to enjoy each day and make memories for my little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this Annie!! I am so glad you are doing this! Keep it coming! You and your mom are so amazing. I loved your introduction! So inspiring! You have such a way with words. Keep posting and I'll keep sharing with my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. really fun to see your creative life - thank you

    ReplyDelete